A Las Vegas court has recommended that Cristiano Ronaldo’s sexual assault lawsuit be dismissed after the Manchester United star was accused of rapping former model Kathryn Mayorga in a hotel room in 2009.
The historic claims brought by Kathryn Mayorga have been thrown out by a civil court in the United States.
‘We are pleased with the Court’s detailed review of this matter and its willingness to justly apply the law to the facts and recommend dismissal of the civil case against Mr Ronaldo, ‘ said the forward’s lawyer Peter S. Christiansen.
The Portuguese player has always claimed that his relationship with Mayorga was mutually beneficial, and a Nevada judge has now recommended that the Portuguese’s petition for the lawsuit to be dismissed be allowed.
Mayorga’s legal team might still oppose the court’s dismissal recommendation. The legal team for Mayorga has 14 days to file an appeal of the court’s ruling.
The Las Vegas District Attorney had previously dismissed the criminal prosecution related to the accusation.
Ronaldo’s legal team petitioned a federal court in the United States to dismiss the civil lawsuit against him in June of this year.
Mayorga’s legal team allegedly gave’stolen papers’ to police in Las Vegas who were investigating accusations, according to his lawyers.
Magistrate Judge Daniel Albregts criticised Mayorga’s attorney, Leslie Mark Stovall, for basing the case on leaked and stolen papers that Albregts said were private conversations between Ronaldo and his attorneys in a stinging referral to the judge hearing the case on Wednesday.
‘Dismissing Mayorga’s case for her attorney’s improper behaviour is a severe consequence,’ Albregts wrote to U.S. District Judge Jennifer Dorsey in his proposal.